Wenzhou Medical University

Wenzhou Medical University

China, Hubei, Wuhan, Hongshan, 430074
Nearest Airport: Wenzhou
Dollar Icon

30,000 RMB/Year

Total Tuition Fees:
Location Icon


City and province



  • It was founded in the year 1958
  • Globally Recognised Universities
  • Approved by MCI and WHO

Wenzhou Medical University:

Established in 1984, Wenzhou University is a non-profit public higher-education institution located in the urban setting of the metropolis of Wenzhou (population range of 1,000,000-5,000,000 inhabitants), Zhejiang. Officially recognized by the Department of Education of the Zhejiang Province, Wenzhou University (WZU) is a very large (uni Rank enrollment range: 30,000-34,999 students) coeducational Chinese higher education institution. Wenzhou University (WZU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees in several areas of study. See the uni Rank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details. International applicants are eligible to apply for enrollment. WZU also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, housing, as well as administrative services.

Get Call Back from our MBBS Abroad Counsellors

Wenzhou University (WZU), nestled within green mountains and blue waterways in the beautiful coastal city of Wenzhou in southern Zhejiang province, is a dynamic and comprehensive regional university growing alongside the Reform and Opening-up momentum of China and presenting a rich cultural atmosphere and fine educational tradition.
Among the fine programs our university has, according to ESI (September 2019), the chemistry, material science, and engineering science in WZU were listed among top 1% in ESI ranking the world, 145th in the nation and 8th in Zhejiang Province.
Inaugurated in 1933 by Mr. Huang Suchu, a renowned industrialist, Wenzhou University has merged and integrated 6 schools in its development and progress. WZU is among the first batch of state-approved Chinese Language and Culture Education Base, designated by the Chinese Ministry of Education (MOE) to accept Chinese Government Scholarship students, and is authorized to accept overseas Chinese students and students from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Overseas students applying to study at WZU can apply for Chinese Government Scholarship, Confucius Institute Scholarship, Zhejiang Provincial Government Scholarship, and Wenzhou University Scholarship for International Students.
Its academic programs cover 9 discipline areas including Literature, Science, Engineering, Law, Education, Economics, History, Management and Art. It offers 46 postgraduate programs and 57 undergraduate programs. The number of full-time faculty and staff is 1,719. It has about 14,000 undergraduates, 1,500 postgraduates, 500 international students, and around 13,000 part-time students annually for continuing education.

Wenzhou University actively implements the strategy of educational internationalization and is vigorously engaged in various international exchanges and cooperation. As of June 2017, WZU has established exchange and cooperation relations with over 70 universities and research institutes from about 20 countries and regions such as the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, the Netherlands, Germany, Japan and Korea.
Presently, Wenzhou University has established an Italy Campus in collaboration with University of Siena, Italy, a China-U.S. cooperatively-run school Wenzhou-Kean University, a China-Denmark joint undergraduate program in International Sales and Marketing Management, a Chinese mainland and Taiwan cross-strait cooperation undergraduate program in Electronic Information Engineering, a Confucius Institute with Burapha University, Thailand and a China- Thailand 3+1 dual bachelor degrees program in Chinese
Language and Literature with Burapha University (3 years in Thailand and the 4th year in China).

Wenzhou is a modern coastal city advantageously located near the East China Sea and halfway up China's mainland coastline. The mid-subtropical monsoon climate of Wenzhou is featured with four distinctive seasons, moderate temperatures and a pleasant weather. It is conveniently connected with other major cities in China, with only 1 hour to Shanghai, 2 hours to Beijing, Guangzhou or Hong Kong by air. Its main campuses are situated in Wenzhou's Chashan University Town which is surrounded by green mountains and picturesque water views. The university is only half an hour away from both the train station and the airport. The rapidly growing export trade and vibrant private economy bring Wenzhou University great opportunities to collaborate with institutions and enterprises both domestically and globally. The university has always attached great importance to international student’s education and all the 57 undergraduate programs and 46 postgraduate programs are open to international students. Considering the limited Chinese language ability of some international applicants, WZU offers international students with English-taught programs at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Those special programs are great opportunities for international students to learn specialty knowledge and in the meantime to get a better understanding of China's language and cultures. Among all of the international offerings in WZU, Chinese Language, International Business & Trade, International Law, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Software Engineering, Biotechnology, Entrepreneurship Studies (Master of Education) are the most favorite majors to international students.

Wenzhou University Ranking

Institution Name Wenzhou University
Location China
World Rank 1299
National Rank 148
Research Performance Rank 1249
Overall Score 68.7

Wenzhou University Courses Offered:

1. Bachelor Degree/Undergraduate Programs in English Medium:
- Duration: 4 years
Details please read at Bachelor Degree Programs
(1)Mechanical Engineering
(2)International Economy and Trade
(4)Chemical Engineering and Technology

2. Master Degree/Postgraduate/PG Programs in English Medium:
- Duration: 3 years
Details please read at Master Degree Programs
(2)English Language & Literature

Admission Procedure of Wenzhou University :

Bachelor Degree/Undergraduate Programs in English Medium

Wenzhou University admits foreign students in 5 specialties taught in English: Mechanical Engineering, International Economy and Trade, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Technology, English.

1. Qualification for applicant
(1) Applicant should be over the age of 18, non-Chinese citizen with good health.
(2) Applicant should be High school graduate or equivalent qualifications.

2. Application materials
(1) Application Form.
(2) The scan copy of high school diploma and transcript.
(3) 8 photos in the size of 2 inches.
(4) The scan copy of valid passport.

Note: If documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified English or Chinese translation must be included.

Master Degree/Postgraduate/PG Programs in English Medium

Wenzhou University masters program has different options taught in English including Chemistry, English Language & Literature.

1. Qualification for applicant
(1) Applicant should be over the age of 22, non-Chinese citizen with good health.
(2) Applicant should be Bachelor degree holders.

2. Application materials
(1) Application Form.
(2) Scan copy of Bachelor degree certificate and transcripts.
(3) Scan copy of English proficiency evidence such as IELTS or TOFEL test report (For non-native English speakers applying for English taught program).
(4) 2 recommendation letters.
(5) Personal Statement.
(6) 8 photos in the size of 2 inches.
(7) The scan copy of valid passport.

Note: If documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified English or Chinese translation must be included.

3. Duration and tuition Fees
Masters degree takes 3 years in all programs.
Tuition fees are 18000CNY/Year- 22000CNY/Year in all Master programs in English.

Wenzhou University Eligibility Criteria:

Entry Requirements and Application Materials

Entry Requirements

1. Non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport
2. High school graduate or equivalent to a Chinese high school graduate
3. Be in good health condition and above the age of 18

Application Materials

1. Graduation certificate of high school. *Graduation certificate should be in Chinese or English. If not, it should be translated into Chinese or English and be notarized.
2. An official transcript from the college you have recently attended. * Official transcript should be in Chinese or English. If not, it should be translated into Chinese or English and be notarized
3. Two Recommendation letters (only for Master applicant)
4. Certificate of English proficiency test
*IELTS or TOEFL will only be required if the applicant is not a native English speaker (IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL IBT 70 paper based 550 )
5. A photocopy of your passport
6. Bank statement (normally the balance is enough for your first year tuition fee and accommodation fee)
7. No Criminal Report (if necessary)
8. Health report (within the validation period)

Wenzhou University Fee Structure

Particulars Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5
Tuition Fee 30,000 RMB 30,000 RMB 30,000 RMB 30,000 RMB 30,000 RMB
Total Fees in Indian Rupees Rs.7.56 Lakhs Rs.7.56 Lakhs Rs.7.56 Lakhs Rs.7.56 Lakhs Rs.7.56 Lakhs
Study MBBS In Wenzhou Medical University
  • 1 RMB = Rs.11(it may vary)
  • Mentioned fee are approximate and it may change as per the change in currency

Wenzhou University Advantages:

Overseas Students at Wenzhou University, China

The College of International Cooperation is one branch of the Wenzhou University System with the main objectives of international cooperation; communication, education of foreign students. International students take many different activities in the campus and they enjoy a colorful and meaningful life at campus. All these promote a cultural communication between China and other countries. At present, there are more than 325 international students studying at Wenzhou University.

Wenzhou University is actively expanding global engagement and continuously seeking internationalization of its educational endeavors. It has established cooperative relations with colleges, universities and research institutes from many countries and regions including the U.S., U.K., Canada, Italy, Australia, German, Singapore, Russia, Japan, Korea, and Thailand.

Accommodation in Wenzhou University, China

Wenzhou University offers Residence Hall for international students. With good condition and clean environment, Residence Hall is equipped with public living room with couches and tables, kitchen with microwaves and a Laundromat style laundry room with coin washers. There are standard double bedrooms are available for them. In these room, a private bathroom with a shower applying 24 hours hot water, Air-condition, TV, a fridge, a telephone, Internet with hard-wired, 2 beds, Desks, and Wardrobes are available. International students can enjoy a good living and studying environment at these rooms. What is more, they can know more culture and make new friends by communication with each other.

Canteens in Wenzhou University, China

nternational Students can use the entire dining halls in Wenzhou University. There are 4 students dining house and many dining rooms with different flavors. They will satisfy the students over the world with different requirement of food. Besides the Dining Hall on the first floor of Experts’ Building, there are several dining halls or canteens all providing good meals and services for students, such as A District Hall, B District Hall and C District Hall. All the dining halls and canteens are provided with ultra-red sterilized cupboard, ensuring high standard food hygiene. Students can buy food with E-cards. International students can taste delicious Chinese food with different flavors at these halls and canteens.

Holidays - Wenzhou University, China

Wenzhou University respects the national legal holidays, Intentional students always have their winter and summer holidays. Within semesters holidays are arranged by university. During the holidays students are may go to the place that they want or plan to go home. International students must respect the duration of holidays and must be at the University at the beginning of a semester.

The holidays are arranged in the following way:
January 1st: New Year's Day-----3 Days
April 5th: Tomb-Sweeping Day-----3 Days
May 1st: International Labor Day -----3 Days
June 9th (Chinese lunar calendar): Dragon Boat Festival-----3 Days
Summer Holidays: About two months in July/August.
August 15th (Chinese lunar calendar): Mid-Autumn Festival-----3 Days
October 1st: Independence Day ----- 7 Days
Winter Holidays and Spring Festival: About one month in February.

Division of Academic Year and Semester:

One academic year cover two semesters

Wenzhou City, China - Wenzhou University Located City

Wenzhou is located at the middle section of the circum-Pacific 18,000-kilometer-long west coast of China, intersecting the two economic zones of the Yangtze River and the Pearl River Deltas. It is the economic, cultural and transport center of south Zhejiang Province.


Wenzhou was once a famous town of the Eastern Ou (the eastern part of the Oujiang River valley) with a brilliant cultural history. In 192 BC it was the capital of the Kingdom of the Eastern Ou and AD 323 it became Yongjia Prefecture. It was also called the City of White Deer, as legend has it, when the city was being built, a white deer passed by it holding a flower in its mouth. In AD 675 it began to be called Wenzhou, its name to this day. Historically, Wenzhou has been a city renowned for its handicrafts and also as one of the birthplaces of celadon. Wenzhou’s papermaking, shipbuilding, silk, embroidery, lacquerwork, as well as its shoes and leather products, achieved a fairly eminent position in the history of China. During the period of the Southern Song Dynasty, it was opened up as a foreign trade port, enjoying a reputation as prosperous coastal city comparable to Hangzhou. Wenzhou is the hometown of Nanxi Opera or the Southern Opera. The Tale of the Pipa, written by the famous Wenzhou playwright GAO Ming in the mid-fourteenth century, has been translated into a number of foreign languages and achieved worldwide renown. Wenzhou has given birth too many outstanding people and great scholars. Among the most famous were the philosophers of the Yongjia School as represented by Ye Shi, and the poets of the River and Lake School as represented by Yongjia’s four distinguished poets during the Southern Song Dynasty, as well as Sun Yirang, Xia Nai, Xia Chengtao, Su Buqing and others of the modern era, all of whom have exerted significant influence in the history of Chinese thought, literature and science.


Wenzhou derives its present name from its mild climate. It is a part of those subtropical maritime regions with a humid climate, noticeable for its alternating dry and monsoon periods, with distinct seasons and abundant rainfall, yet without intense heat in the summer nor bitter cold in the winter. It has an average annual temperature ranging between 1500 to 1900 mm and a frost-free period of 260 to 280 days.
Population: 7.4619 million
Temperature: average 18 °C (64.4 °F)

Address of Wenzhou University, China

Wenzhou University
Higher Educational Park, Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province, China

Visa Information for Study at Wenzhou University, China

After receiving original document including Admission Letter and JW Study Visa Form issued by Wenzhou University, the Students shall go through study visa application in China Embassy or China Consulate in your country with documents of (a) original Admission Letter, (b) original JW202 Study Visa Form, (c) Passport and (d) Health Check result Form signed by doctor and sealed by government hospital in students country.


I really want to study at your University, but I can’t speak Chinese, can I be instructed in English?

Answer: The program is fully English medium program.

How is the living standard in Wenzhou city? What about the canteen in the University?

Answer: The living expense here is relatively low, for example, about 100 USD for your food per month. There are 4 students dining house and many dining rooms and canteens with different flavors for international students.

How can I arrive in Wenzhou city, the location of University?

Answer: If there is no direct flight to Wenzhou, the recommended flight is transit from Beijing to Wenzhou (around 2.5 hours), or transit from Shenzhen to Wenzhou (around 2 hours), or transit from Shanghai to Wenzhou (around 1.5 hours). Students can choose the travel route according to their location.

Can you send a vehicle to take us from the local airport to the University?

Answer: Sure, we can provide airport pick up service from local airport –Wenzhou Longwan International Airport to the campus. But students should send detailed departure schedule to our university’s representative minimum 3 days in advance so that we can pick up without any delay. Airport Pick-up Service is only available on duty hours in Registration time.

How can I exchange some Chinese currency for my pocket money when I just arrived in China?

Answer: Students can exchange some Chinese currency in bank for shuttle/bus ticket fare and pocket money in the big international airport when they arrive in China. And students can buy telephone card from business counter in the airport to give international call and domestic call if students need.

How are the transportation, telecom and internet settled in Wenzhou City?

Answer: there is one airport, two train stations and many buses to many cities in China. There are convenient public facilities for telecom and internet, you can buy telecom card to call in any time and there are lots of internet pub for going on internet.

How is the climate in Wenzhou City?

Answer: Wenzhou derives its present name from its climate, and has a humid subtropical climate with short winters and long, humid summers. The mean annual temperature is 18 °C (64.4 °F).

How is China’s Engineering Education in the world?

Answer: China is a largest producer of engineering graduates in the world.

How is China’s Business and Management Education in the world?

Answer: China has become the second largest economy and this has influential role in the global economy.

Can a student open a Bank Account?

Answer: Yes, a student could open a bank account in his name to keep his surplus money safe. He could also use this account to have his family remit any additional money as required.

Is learning Chinese language compulsory?

nswer: Even though the program is taught in English, but international students must study Chinese language according to Ministry of Education, China. Chinese language classes are just offered three times per week, and international students are required to pass the basic level. Besides, it will be helpful for students in daily life if they learn some Chinese language.

What is the voltage used in China?

nswer: The voltage here is 220 V. Converters and power strips may be purchased locally.

Useful public contact number in China:

Fire: 119
Police Station: 110
Time Report: 12117
Telephone Directory: 114
Telephone Repair: 112
Emergency Ambulance: 120
Earthquake Advisory Service: 2042691

Are there any programs that are delivered entirely in English?

A. Yes. There are eight undergraduate programs in English and five graduate programs in English.

I am already a freshman student in another university in China. Is it possible for me to transfer to Wenzhou University?

A. We are sorry that we do not accept student transfer. You need to apply for Wenzhou University in the first instance.

Can I pay the application fee in US dollar?

Yes. You need to pay in USD the equivalent amount of CNY 400 or 800 at the exchange rate of the day you make the payment.

I have already paid the application fee, but the status of my online application still shows “application fee to be paid”. What shall I do?

A. You may attach your receipt or a copy of it to online system.

Is there any application fee?

Yes. The application fee for degree applicator is CNY 800; the application fee for non-degree applicator is CNY 400. You can pay for your application fee as follow

Account NO. 1203207009814655855(US DOLLAR ONLY)
1203227929000007706(RMB ONLY)
What documents do I need to submit along with my application for undergraduate/graduate programs?

Graduation certificate of high school.
*Graduation certificate should be in Chinese or English. If not, it should be translated into Chinese or English and be notarized.
An official transcript from the college you have recently attended.
* Official transcript should be in Chinese or English. If not, it should be translated into Chinese or English and be notarized.
Two Recommendation letters ( only for Master applicant)
Certificate of English proficiency test
*IELTS or TOEFL will only be required if the applicant is not a native English speaker (IELTS0 or TOEFL IBT 70 paper based 550 )
A photocopy of your passport.
Bank statement (normally the balance is enough for your first year tuition fee and accommodation fee around CNY30,000)
No Criminal Report (if necessary)
Health report ( within the validation period)
*Students who are now studying in China should offer the following documents in addition:
An agreement of transferring universities from the Office for International Students in which school or university you are studying now (must with common seal) and a recommendation letter from a teacher in the former school or university. About the resident permission, we will help the students to renew it when they register in the university, and won't do before the refrigeration date
Photocopy of your visa and residence permit in China.
Additional materials if required.

Do I still need to submit hard copies after applying online?

A. No need, you can upload all your electronic documents to the university online application system

Who is qualified as my financial sponsors?

A. Your parents or immediate family members could be your financial sponsor, they could provide the last six months bank slips to show their financial status. The balance of the bank account should be CNY 30,000 at least. If they are not the parent or immediate family member, please provide a sponsor letter and passport copy with the bank statement together.

Is there any interview for applicants?

A. Interviews are usually not required, but there might be exceptions.

When and how can I know the result of my application?

A. Please follow your application status on the online application system. Once you are admitted, your admission status will change, and then the admission notice letter will be posted in two weeks.

May I defer my admission once admitted?

A. No. We don't accept deferred admission.

What scholarship does Wenzhou University offer? And how to apply for it?

A. Wenzhou University offers Wenzhou University Admission Scholarship for international students.

How can I obtain the pre-admission notice of Wenzhou University for the applicants of Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program?

A. First of all, please contact the Chinese Embassy in the country where the applicant is located, and after the audit, obtain award letter for Chinese Government Scholarship (support certificate); Applicants are required to submit at http://study.wzu.edu.cn all relevant application documents to the admission office of college of International Education of Wenzhou University online. The qualified applicant will receive the pre-admission notice issued by the Admissions office of Wenzhou University, after that the applicant may submit the pre-admission certificate and other application materials to the Chinese foreign embassies and consulates as required.

Which program category should I choose in CSC application system?

A. Program category Type A generally refers to scholarship programs by authorities other than Chinese Universities. E.g. Chinese Embassy in your countries. Program category Type B generally refers to scholarship programs responsible by Chinese universities under Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program and Belt and Road program. (Wenzhou University only offer mechanical engineering major of One Road One Belt program)

Do international students have to buy insurance in China?

A. Yes, all international students are required to buy Ping and Comprehensive Insurance in China.

How many semesters does an academic year have? When does new semester usually start?

A. An academic year has two semesters. New semester usually starts from early September and early March.

for foreign students who intend to study in China, what type of visa is required? How to apply for this visa?

A. Foreign students who intend to study in China must apply for a student visa (X1 or X2 visa) from the Chinese consulate/embassy. For the application, you will be required to submit the Admission Notice from the university and the JW201 or JW202 Form.

What is the difference between X1 and X2 visas?

A. For students who will be studying in China for a period of over 180 days (starting from the date stated in the Admission Notice), you will be issued X1 visa. The validity of X1 visa is 30 days and students will be required to apply for a Residence Permit through the school within 30 days of arrival in the country (e.g. arriving date in China: Sep 1st, a student should apply for residence permit before Sep 31st ). For students who will be studying in China for a period of less than 180 days, you will be issued X2 visa. The validity of the X2 visa is between 30-180 days, and is usually only for a single entry. Once you have exited the country, you will not be able to enter the country again with the same visa.

Will the X2 visa need to be converted to a student Residence Permit like X1 visa?

A. According to the regulations of Exit- entry bureau, overseas students who will study in China for more than 180 days can apply for residence permit. Students with X2 (study period less than 180 days) will not be allowed to change X2 visa to study Residence permit.

If a student has obtained the X1 visa, can he/she enter China early to travel before reporting to school?

A. As a longer period of time is required for the first-time application of Residence Permit, and the validity of the X1 visa is only 30 days, we would highly recommend that students enter China 3 days before the school’s registering date, in order to avoid the hassle and extra cost for extending your visa.

Can one study at Wenzhou University without having a student visa?

A. No. If foreigners are found to have engaged in activities that differ from the type of visa, he/she may face penalties such as Letter of Warning, fine, detention or deportation.

I entered China via visa-free entry/travel visa/family visitor visa; can I apply for the student Residence Permit?


If a student finds his study visa expired when he plans to come back to China after staying out of China for a period (for example, suspending from school), can he continues his study in China with a visa other than X1 or X2?

A. No. He has to apply for an X1 or X2 visa before he comes back. The documents he needs when applying for the study visa: JW202 form (from International Students Office, available 1 week after application), Certificate of Study (from Academic Affairs Division or Graduate School, Certificate of Suspension is also needed if he suspends from school). He needs to get all those documents from school before he leaves China:

What documents are required for new students applying for the Residence Permit for the first time?

A. 1) Valid passport;
2) Admission Notice;
3) Visa Application Form (JW202 or JW201);
4) Health Examination Record (Issued by Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center);
5) Temporary Accommodation Registration Form;
6) Introduction Letter for Foreign Students (issued by International Students Office);
7) 1 Passport-sized photograph (2-inch);
8) Fee for Residence Permit application (Depends on the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, usually 400~800 RMB).

What documents are required for students who are already studying in the university and need to extend the Residence Permit?

A. 1) Valid passport;
2) Temporary Accommodation Registration Form;
3) The Introduction Letter for Foreign Students (issued by International Students Office);
4) 1 Passport-sized photograph (2-inch);
5) Fee for Residence Permit application (Depends on the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, usually 400~800 RMB).