About Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy was founded in 1992 by Georgian doctor, pediatric surgeon
Petre Shotadze. After graduating from the Tbilisi State Medical Institute in 1970, all his medical,
scientific and pedagogical activities were connected with the Tbilisi State Institute of Physicians
(Georgian Medical Academy), where he went from postgraduate student to the director and rector of
the Department of Pediatric Surgery.
P. Shotadze initiated the establishment of the Tbilisi Medical Academy, which is 1999, after his
death, was renamed the Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy (TSA). Since its inception, Petre
Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy has trained more than 1,500 physicians and certified physicians
who have successfully worked in leading clinics, universities and scientific research centers in
Georgia and abroad.
Mission and Strategy
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy (TSA) is a self-governing higher education institution - a
teaching university, staffed by highly qualified academic staff and conducting its activities by
the current legislation of Georgia and the regulations of the Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy implements two educational programs: "Medical Case" and
"English Language Medicine". The programs are one-tier and correspond to the second tier of higher
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy Mission:" Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy, as a
student-centered higher education institution, provides training in national and international
healthcare professionals through an innovative approach and the use of evidence-based knowledge. At
the same time, it contributes to the development of Georgian society through its research-based
The vision of Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy in 2025
Aims to create an attractive environment for students, researchers, and staff of the academy to
study, research, and work.
In response to the constant variability and modern challenges in the medical field, with the
support of TSA, critical thinking and academic advancement to establish a place on both the
national and international educational map, the Academy realizes its responsibility to the public
and strives to meet the challenges and challenges.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy, with its first modest steps since 1992, is one of the first
private medical schools in the history of independent Georgia. For 28 years, Petre Shotadze Tbilisi
Medical Academy has been one of the pioneers of medical education in Georgia and today remains one
of the most competitive and dynamically developing institutions. Hundreds of successful doctors who
currently work in leading clinics in Georgia and abroad have been raised and educated with us over
In the capital of Georgia, where East meets west, at the Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy, we
present the best values of our culture: hospitality, equality, and unity. At the Academy, Petre
Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy does its best to create a student-centered environment for our
students that is tailored to the international quality of teaching. The teaching process follows in
the footsteps of the latest advances in higher medical education and offers students a dynamic
improvement in the learning process and equipment.
At Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy we have a student-centered direction, where the quality
of education is its cornerstone, we are open to dialogue, listening to students' opinions and we
are constantly aware of their needs.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy is committed to the teaching process, we are ready for
international cooperation in the field of education and scientific research.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy Aim
The main goal of the Academy is to elaborate independent and critical thinking, scientific
reasoning abilities, and reasonable judgments among students, to support their development into
highly qualified specialists.
- The upbringing of highly trained and qualified medical professionals with leadership qualities;
- Creating new knowledge through medical research based on society needs;
- Sharing knowledge to ensure sustainable development of the society.
The content and teaching level of Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy educational programs
correspond to the International standards, which promotes the mobility of young people and allows
them to continue their studies and increase their knowledge in the higher institutions of foreign
To raise Medical Doctors, through developing and strengthening among them in-depth clinical
thinking; providing them with international standard up-to-date evidence-based knowledge, 6
necessary for medical practice; raising awareness and enhancing knowledge regarding public health
system and role of the doctor within; elaborating clinical and communication skills, abilities to
use modern methodologies in clinical practice and research, as well as introduce and discuss
results with peers and colleagues; and fostering among them highest ethical values and attitude,
required for medical practice.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy Courses Offered
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy is successfully implementing a one-step medical educational
program – “Medicine” which is taught and implemented in the Georgian language.
One-step educational program “Medicine” is designed in accordance to the requirements of National
Benchmarks for medical education, WFME (World Federation of Medical Education) and Can MED
standards, as well as take into consideration present national needs and requirements and is based
on the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).
The Programme aims to prepare Medical Doctors in accordance to the roles and competencies of a
modern physician within present-day society providing them with international standard compatible
and evidence-based knowledge, communication, clinical, scientific research, social and
self-reflection skills, as well as high moral and ethical values, necessary for medical practice,
ensuring in such way a high degree of professionalism among graduates and facilitating their
successful performance within healthcare system at both national and international levels.
The duration of the educational program is 6 years, which in its’ turn includes 3 phases:
- Basic, behavioral and social sciences (I-III years of study)
- Clinical disciplines (IV-V years of study)
- General specialization (VI years of study)
The curriculum is updated in accordance to the concept of learning outcome/competency-based medical
education, subsequently, the strategy of curricula implies following innovative approaches:
student-oriented learning, problem-based learning (active learning methods) (TBL, CBL), integration
between different basic and clinical disciplines, elective courses, extracurricular activities,
During the study, the process is used most up-to-date teaching and assessment methodologies, which
in its turn ensure student exposure to the clinical environment from the early stage of education,
as well as contribute to the development of clinical reasoning and self-analytical approach
(self-reflection), elaboration of practical and scientific-research skills and acknowledgment of
social roles and responsibilities; facilitating in its’ turn achievement of competencies,
determined by the educational program by the end of the studies.
The educational process is implemented by highly qualified professionals, represented by in-house
academic and invited teaching staff, trained by the requirements of up-to-date methodologies of
medical education in a modernized infrastructure, which is developed and ensured by TMA
Clinical disciplines are taught at the TMA affiliated clinics.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy also has a teaching/research laboratory, clinical skills
center, library, virtual learning laboratory, conference halls, and lecturing rooms, all of which
are supplied with relevant up-to-day equipment. Additionally, TMA has a modern and comfortable
cafeteria and recreational zone.
The program is divided into three parts
Number of Credits (ECTS)
- 1 Credit - 30 hour
- Semester - 30 Credit
- Year - 60 credit
- Total - 360 credit
- Degree - Medical Doctor
- Languuage of instruction - English
Objectives of the Course
- To provide students with knowledge regarding the structure and functioning of the normal human
body, organs, and systems;
- To familiarize students with various pathological processes of the human body and disorders
caused by them
- To give students in-depth vision regarding etiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestation,
diagnostics, and differential diagnostics of various acute and chronicle diseases;
- To elaborate ability of critical thinking and logical decision making based on given clinical
symptoms and signs;
- To facilitate necessary expertise among students for creating an optimal plan for patient
assessment and if needed, commencing corresponding treatment;
- To elaborate and enhance among students’ clinical skills, necessary for medical practice;
- To facilitate scientific-research skills, by modern experience and best practices;
- To provide students with knowledge regarding epidemiology, public health, and health promotion,
foundations of healthcare systems and their management, as well as legislation of healthcare and
the medical profession.
- Promote and encourage the development of effective skills for patient management;
- Foster awareness and ability to manage adequately process of disease prevention and
- To elaborate excellent communication skills for efficient and outstanding communication with
patient, colleagues, and society;
- To establish and strengthen positive attitude towards independent learning among students;
- To develop and ensure among students’ necessary skills for careful and detailed history taking
- To elaborate among students’ necessary skills to identify, define, and solve a problem,
through demonstrating critical thinking and research-oriented attitude.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy Fee Structure 2023-24
- Available Program: 6 year MD Program.
- Tuition Fee: 7000 $ (each year)
- Tbilisi medical academy fees: 200 $
- Payment plan: First-year Tbilisi medical academy fees tuition fee should be paid in one
installment, during the enrollment process.
- From the second year, Tbilisi medical academy fees can be paid in two installments, before the
commencement of each semester.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy Admission Procedure
- Application Submission: Complete the application form provided by the academy, ensuring all required information is provided accurately.
- Document Submission: Gather and submit the necessary documents, such as academic transcripts, diplomas, identification documents, letters of recommendation, and any other specified requirements.
- Entrance Examination: Depending on the academy's policy, you may need to sit for an entrance examination, which assesses your knowledge and aptitude in relevant subjects.
- Interview: Shortlisted candidates may be invited for an interview, where they have the opportunity to demonstrate their suitability for the program. Prepare well and showcase your passion for the medical field.
- Selection and Notification: The academy will evaluate all applications, exam results, and interview performances to select eligible candidates. If accepted, you will receive an official notification regarding your admission status.
- Enrollment and Confirmation: Upon acceptance, complete the enrollment process by submitting the necessary paperwork and paying the required fees within the specified deadline. This secures your place at the academy.
The Required Documents for Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy Admission Application
- Passport copy
- School leaving certificate
- Filled application form and letter
In case, if an applicant doesn’t have proof of proficiency in English, (language certificate or
school-leaving document from English taught school) applicant has to demonstrate fluency to the
University admission committee (can be done through the Zoom call).
*After receiving the necessary documents applicants are given an acceptance letter from the
Admission Office of TMA.
For transferring students:
- Passport copy
- Transcript (including gained credits and covered hours) from home university
- Registration in a foreign country, or any other document which confirms the fact of domicile of
an individual territory
- Written consent of the Rector of Tbilisi Medical Academy regarding the possibility of
enrollment in vacant positions within the scope of a general number of students.
The admission process takes around 21-30 working days and includes translation, legalization, and
recognition of the applicant’s documents from the authorities of Georgia.
Visa and Immigration:
Students are required to obtain a D3 Immigration visa before they arrive in Georgia.
Visa procedures and a list of countries, not requiring a visa for entry.
Currently, TMA does not provide accommodation facilities, however,
Department for Student Services is always ready to help students with rentals on a shared basis.
Before the commencement of the semester, all students must hold valid Local Medical Insurance.
Prices for local insurance packages vary from 7 to 25 USD per month.
Eligibility Criteria for Study MBBS in Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy
- Students must fulfill the below-mentioned eligibility criteria for studying MBBS at Petre
Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy:
- The MBBS aspirants must be over 17 and below 25 years old on or before the 31st December of the
year in which the admission is being taken.
- Students must clear the NEET exam as it is mandatory for those coming from India.
- The aspirant should be a high school graduate or must hold an equivalent degree with Physics,
Chemistry, Biology, and English as subjects.
- The aspirant should have secured at least 50% aggregate in all the above – mentioned subjects
in 10+2 and 40% if the applicant falls under the category SC/ST/OBC.
Study MBBS in Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy Advantages
Advanced and technically equipped classrooms, sophisticated libraries, and scientific nursing labs
are the real image of Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy. Unparalleled infrastructure, a
World-class academic environment, and other academic facilities have attracted international
students to apply for MBBS in Georgia at the Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy.
- Affordable MBBS
- English Medium Classes
- Good Quality Education
- Best Teacher-Student ratio
- No IELTS
- No Donation
- No TOEFL
Reasons to Study MBBS in Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy
- Low cost of living
- Nice weather
- Affordable Clothing
- Cheap Transportation
- Tourist Attractions
- Social Tolerance
- Effective Security/Police
- Public Sport Facility
- Good health care system
- Many museums
- Free Street Wi-Fi’s
- Cheap Restaurant
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Medical Degree Awarded by Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy
recognized in India?
Any foreign medical degree (Equivalent to MBBS in India) from any foreign medical
Institute whose name and the Degree awarded are enlisted in the World Directory Medical
Schools Published by the World Health Organization (WHO) is a recognized medical degree.
Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy is enlisted in the World Directory of Medical
Schools. Published by the World Health Organization and is recognized by the Medical
Council of India.
Is there any entrance test for getting admission to Petre Shotadze Tbilisi
No, there is no entrance test; Admissions are on a first-come first-served basis. A
student should have to satisfy the minimum requirements for admission.