THE AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE
The American Board of Family Medicine is an independent, non- profit medical organisation of
American Physicians who practice in medicine and its specialities. It was established in the
year 1969 as The American Board of Family
The main aim of the association was to encourage the medical graduates to practice medicine
as a physician and enter general medicine and was the 20th medical speciality which was
recognised by the American Board of Medical Specialities.
The association got its current name in the year 2005.
The American board of family medicine is the second largest medical speciality board in the
United States. The organisation works with the following purposes:
- To improve the medical quality for the people, and make it available for them.
- Establishing and maintaining the standards of excellence in the speciality of family
- To improve the quality of medical education in the field of family medicine.
- It determines the fitness of the specialists in family medicine who apply and holds
American board of family medicine has a mission which is to improve public health through
- CERTIFICATION- The American board of family medicine certifies family physician who are
trained and highly skilled in their practice that they work amazingly well to improve
the health of their patients, family, communities
and also maintains high standards through development and lifelong learning.
- TRAINING STANDARDS- The American board of family medicine trains the physicians and
prepare them for board certification.
- RESEARCH- The American board of family medicine conducts and publishes research and
studies that is dedicated creating, assessing, and sustaining the original certification
process and advances the scientific base of family
- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT- The American board of family medicine creates leaders in the
country in family medicine to expand the contribution in health of the public.
- COLLABORATION- The American board of family medicine collaborates with other boards of
medicine to drive more powerful work and to multiply the outcome of family medicine
which promotes better heath in public.
Candidates/ Physician seeking certification are required to meet the eligibility criteria by
the American Board of Family Medicine should have cleared all the requirements.
The Candidate must have completed 3 years of training in Family Medicine Residency program
accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). The
candidate then gets the receipt of M.D. or M.O.
JOURNAL AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE
The Journal American Board of Family Medicine was published in the year 1988 is the official
journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. The organisation made this journal
accessible by everyone with no charges with the belief
that public is served best with open access to information. The organisation publishes its
articles and make them available without any registration. This in a way has served the
community with advancement in the practice and
better understanding of the people.
Some latest articles published are-
- Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy with Nonmydriatic Ultra- Wide field retina camera by
Family Medicine physicians.
- Provision of early pregnancy loss care in New York federally qualified health centres.
- Mental Health and Benzodiazepine use among patients on chronic opioid therapy.
- Parent’s report of their children’s underinsurance status after the affordable care act.
- Improving the reporting of primary care research: An international survey of
- Educating patients on unnecessary antibiotics.
- A taxonomy for external support for practice transformation.
- Improving chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( COPD) symptoms using a team based
approach.A systemic approach to opioid prescribing.
- Barriers to patient portal access and use.
- Glucosamine/ chondroitin and mortality in US NHANES Cohort.
The viewers viewing the articles can any time file a request about the unavailability of a
AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE VERIFICATION-
- The American board of family medicine provides online verification system in order to
meet the needs of hospital, insurance companies etc.
- The verification system holds data from the American board of family medicine database
and is under the direct control of the administrative staff of the American Board of
- The written verification status can be obtained from the American board of family
medicine for a fee of $25 per physician.
- But the American board of family medicine recommends the use of its online facility as
it more user friendly and the same information can be obtained from anywhere.
- Verification system maintain records of physicians or activities related to the
evaluation of physician qualifications.
- The American Academy of Family Medicine has an obligation for postgraduate education.
The responsibility of American Academy of Family Medicine is to provide opportunities to
the medical practitioners so that keep edge on with
the latest technologies and developments in the field of medicine.
- The American Academy of Family Medicine serves from last 35 years and provides
continuous service to more than 15,000 professionals.
- The main aim of the American Academy of Family Medicine is to provide world- class
education in medicine and to raise high standard medical professionals, physicians,
nurses and other health care professionals.
- The American Academy of Family Medicine conducts multi- speciality conferences in
medicine covering the latest ongoing issues in the world.
AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE PHYSICIANS-
The American Board of Family medicine physicians was founded in the year 1947. The main objective
was to maintain high standards of the family doctors who are working really hard to provide
continuous health care to the public.
It is one of the largest organisation in the United States, with 134600 members.
The main objective of the American Board of Family medicine physician is to improve health of the
patients, families, communities. This is done by serving the public with dedication and honesty.
- The strategies of American Board of Family medicine physicians is to support and sustain
family medicine practices by using payment models reform that results in greater reforms.
- To reduce administrative complexity.
- To equip the members with latest clinical expertise for improving health of a population by
providing broader scope.
- By raising awareness about the importance of family medicine.
The American Board of Family medicine physicians is governed by a congress of delegates from its
55 constituent chapters, residents and students groups, new physicians and some special category
The congress meets has the power to establish policies and define principles. The policies that
are established in the annual meeting every year are carried out between annual meetings by the
board of directors.
THE AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE- FAQs
What is American Board of Family Medicine?
The American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) is a non-profit, independent medical
association of American physicians who practice in family medicine and its
How does American Board of Family Medicine verification works?
In addition to reporting board certification, ABFM reports clinical status, retired
status, and Physician Practice Locations for those physicians sharing that
information. ... This system requires an exact match between
the information that you provide and the information contained in our database.
What is American Board of Family Medicine journals?
Published since 1988, the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine ( JABFM )
is the official peer-reviewed journal of the American Board of Family Medicine
How do one get board certified for family medicine?
- The completion of self-assessment and quality improvement activities
totaling a minimum of 50 points achieved through:
- Completion of (150) credits of acceptable Continuing Medical Education (CME)
(minimum 50% Division I), acquired in the three years before you take the
Family Medicine Certification Examination
- Continuous compliance with ABFM Guidelines for Professionalism, Licensure,
and Personal Conduct which includes holding medical license(s) which meet
the licensure requirements of the Guidelines
- Submission of Entry Process Fee
- Submission of application and accompanying full examination fee for the
Family Medicine Certification Examination
- Successful completion of the Family Medicine Certification Examination
When was American Board of Family Medicine formed?
Founded in February 1969 as the American Board of Family Practice (ABFP), the group
was the 20th medical specialty to be recognized by the American Board of Medical
Specialties and was formed out of a need to encourage
medical school graduates to enter general practice. It adopted its current name in