MBBS is the most selective course in UK among all other courses. Medical universities in UK
claim the 2nd highest Nobel prize in medicine. The migration of international students
increasing every year.
If you have strong ambitions and focused dreams about a career in medicine then MBBS in UK is
a good option for you. It will give you a successful career in the field of medicine.
Studying medicine in the UK is the most competitive course for Indian as well as
international students. But, the quality of education provided by the medical universities
in the United Kingdom is far better than any other university
in the world.
Most of the reputed medical specialists are from UK medical universities. Also, the MBBS
degree from the UK is recognized by MCI and directory of world councils.
- UK is well-known for its excellent medical education across the globe.
- Studying MBBS in the UK gives the students some helpful career guide options including
international exposure, top education standard with most exciting medical technology and
- Students will get a graduate degree in medicine with internationally recognized
- The medical courses in UK are led by FRCP/FRCS & MRCP/ MRCS experts.
- Medical students in UK get a chance to clear MRCS/MRCP world-recognized diplomas.
- Professional training is provided by the experts in NHS(National Health Service)
- The curriculum and structure of MBBS at UK universities is slightly different from that
of India. As already mentioned in the introduction, an MB degree is awarded here which
qualifies a student as a medical doctor. It is the
minimum qualification required to practice as a doctor in the UK.
- In addition to MB, top universities of the UK award other degrees such as BS, ChB, or
BCh which stands for Bachelor of Surgery. These degrees are equivalent to each other and
a student becomes eligible to practise as a surgeon
after completing them.
- Students interested in obstetrics must pass the obstetrics portion of the exam. The
degree awarded after qualifying this exam is known as BAO (Bachelor of Obstetrics)
- Thus, MBBS in the UK is equivalent to MB(BS, ChB or Bch), BAO depending upon the
university from which you are pursuing your medical degree. Here BAO is optional
depending upon the interest of the students.
- The UK is located in northwestern Europe. It is commonly known as Britain or the United
Kingdom since it comprises the island of Great Britain which contains Wales, England and
Scotland. London is the capital of the UK which
is the leading financial and commercial hub across the world.
- UK has made significant contributions to the development of the world’s economy,
especially in technology and industry. It is the most prominent cultural center
including literature, theatre, film, television across all parts
of the country.
- Uk has a unitary parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy. The major cities
in the UK include Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds and Liverpool. The UK is a member of the
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the
member of the European Union.
- The climate of UK derives from atmospheric circulation patterns. The temperature from
north to south run at 4-degree Celsius in January isotherm. The mean annual temperature
ranges from 8-degree Celsius to 11-degree Celsius
in southwestern England.
MBBS in UK Admission
Following are the basics steps for admission in UK for MBBS course
“Select Your University” will help you with the choice of medical universities in UK.
Arrange your original documents legalized by the authorized bodies. If you are from Non-EU
state then you have to apply to the universities before 1 September and 30 June ( as per
semester). If you are from EU state then apply
before 15 January.
Register on the UCAS website to fill and submit your application form. All applicants need to
apply through the UCAS portal.
After confirmation of admission, apply for the immigration process. Visit the British embassy
in Delhi after receiving an invitation letter.
Inform the date of arrival to medical university in UK. University will send an official
representative who will pick the student from the airport.
- The age of the candidate should be 18 years before applying to the MBBS program.
- Medical colleges in UK conduct the tests like the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) or
BioMedical Admission Test (BMAT) as per the college or university.
- Students should have to score high in subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and
mathematics for enrolling to the MBBS course.
- Attested copies of Class X and Class XII mark sheets
- Invitation letter
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of financial funds
- Copy of valid passport
- English Proficiency certificate (IELTS/UKCAT/BMAT)
- Passport Size Photographs
Proof of English Proficiency for International Students
For taking admission to any UK colleges, you will have to appear for the IELTS. The exam will
test your listening, speaking, and writing skills. The average cut-off score is 6.5 for most
of the top-ranked colleges in the UK.
Now, what happens if you fail to hit the cut-off in IELTS & 10+2?
Students who fail to secure the marks mentioned above in 10+2 or IELTS have to take up a
Foundation Course of 1 year. In that course, one has to score at least 75 % and perform well
in the GD/PI rounds to make it to the international
programs. In case you fail to secure 75 %, you will get the opportunity to enrol in a three
year Internationally Recognized Biomedical Science Degree.
Process of Visa Application
After deciding on the course you want to study, the next step is to apply for a UK student
To meet all the requirements, you will need the following documents
- Your passport and photocopy of the same.
- Recent photograph.
- A consent letter from your university or college is
- Proof of English proficiency
- Proofs of financial condition
- A non-EU or Swiss student may also require an additional
UKCAT is the UK Clinical Aptitude Test conducted by the medical universities in the UK
through UCAS to offer admission to candidates.
BioMedical Admission Test is the entrance exam conducted by the 7 medical schools in UK.
Students should have to register themselves on the UCAS website to apply for the test.
It is the common entrance examination applicable for all courses including MBBS. Students can
take this exam before applying through UCAS.
MBBS in UK Fees
- $1 = ₹80 (It may vary)
- Mentioned fee are approximate and it may change as per the change in currency.
Following are the range of costs as per your basic needs to pursuing MBBS in Uk
The cost of living in the UK is dependent on your lifestyle. It also depends on the location
to an extent. The cost of living in London is a little higher than in other places. In
London, the average cost for living excluding the
college fees can be £1,020 per month, whereas outside London it may come down to £820.
Other monthly expenses that students might have to pay are
- Food: 50 GBP
- Gas and electricity bills: 45 - £55 GBP per month
If you opt for an off-campus stay, then you will find plenty of apartments, flats, or
hostels on a sharing basis. The lodging facilities in the UK are top class, so you will
never need to worry about accommodation here. The average
cost of accommodation in UK is £400.
MBBS in UK Scholarship
Universities offer a variety of scholarships to international students in the UK. Waivers on
the course fees are provided based on excellent academic records throughout or
Documents Required for Scholarship
Now, let’s discuss a few scholarship programs for all international students
Detailed information on the above-tabulated scholarships are listed below
- Photocopies of academic records.
- An updated resume.
- A nicely written Letter of Intent.
- TOEFL or IELTS score certificates.
- Letters of reference on account of outstanding academic
or extracurricular performance.
- Chevening Scholarship: It is a scholarship program for
international students who possess excellent academic records and fantastic leadership
qualities. Chevening scholarship also offers you
to study 1 year post-graduate degree course with any university.
- The timeline for the application of this scholarship is August to November. The
shortlisting of candidates happens by February.
- The interview happens between March to May, and the announcement of results
happen by early June.
- The scholarship worth is 18,000 GBP.
- Global Health Future Leaders Scholarship: Liverpool
School of TropicalMedicine offers this scholarship in the field of medical science to
students from developing countries.
- The scholarship is for students who are already pursuing graduate courses in
the field of medicine like Tropical Medicine & Hygiene.
- This program will offer you two fully funded PG courses in Medical Science.
- The application deadline is by April, and it pays partial course fees up to
- Hull York Medical School International Scholarships:
This scholarship aims at funding international students to pursue their careers in
- It covers 1/4th of the tuition fees each year for the first two years after the
successful completion of the course.
- The worth of this scholarship is about 8,737 GBP.
- This scholarship is applicable to those pursuing the MBBS course in the UK.
- To avail of this scholarship, you must have a course offered by September.
- By March, you can expect to receive a link for the application.
- Faculty of Medicine Scholarship: It is an initiative
of the Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine. This scholarship is worth
1,000 GBP per year for students pursuing MBBS in the
UK. The deadline to apply for this scholarship is by 28th April 2020.
- Rhodes Scholarship: It comes second in the list of
most prestigious scholarships in the UK. The program covers all college or university
fees, personal stipend, and one economy class flight
ticket to Oxford. It also includes the cost of the return ticket of a student to his/her
- Rhodes Scholarship is available for Indian students.
- The scholars typically possess outstanding intellect, leadership, and commitment
- The application date starts from June till July.
- It will offer you an annual stipend of 15,141 GBP.
For more scholarships in UK
PG After MBBS in UK
Students can pursue MD/MS with a specialization of their interest after completion of MBBS in
UK.PG in Dermatology and Orthopedics two other popular postgraduate programs preferred by
many higher education aspirants.
MD/MS after MBBS in UK
This program focuses on providing rotational training on various specialties of medicine.
Students develop comprehensive skills and get the opportunity to work in reputed hospitals
while pursuing PG after MBBS in UK.
MD In UK
Studying PG – MD/MS abroad after MBBS is a dream of many but few are able to achieve it.
Medicine is one of the most lucrative course in UK and every year thousands of international
students join it. Now you can also take admission
in MD MS medical postgraduate admission in UK without PLAB. Pursue higher studies in Medical
from UK and get the following benefits
- World class top ranking Universities
- Internationally recognized specialty medical courses
- Recognized by MCI, WHO, ECFMG & GMC
- No Entrance, No Donation, No Capitation
- Reasonably low fee structure
- Total package ranges between INR 15L to 80L – best value
- Amazing culture, Technologically advanced, Learning
- A chance to settle in the best part of the World
- There is a huge shortage of doctors in UK. After
completing PG – MD/MS from UK, you can get an opportunity to practice there.
According to BBC news, there is a huge requirement of more than 10000 doctors in UK
- Chance to get license for practice in multiple locations
of the World
MBBS In UK Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cost of MBBS in UK for Indian students?
The annual tuition fees of universities offering MBBS in UK ranges between
21,00,000 INR to 50,00,000 INR. The average cost of living for an Indian student
in UK is approximately 12,00,000 INR per annum.
Can I do PG after MBBS in UK?
Yes, you are eligible to pursue postgraduate program after MBBS at UK
universities. Most of the graduates of this degree opt for MD/MS depending upon
the specialization of their interest.
Name some of the best MBBS colleges in UK?
University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University College London and
Imperial College London are some of the top ranking colleges for MBBS in the UK.
What is the salary of MBBS Doctor in UK?
After completion of MBBS in UK, you can earn up to 276,000 GBP per annum. The
salary for surgeons in this country is 4th highest in the world.
How can I study MBBS in UK?
To study MBBS at UK universities, you are required to have a 10+2 certificate and
UKCAT or BMAT test scores. Indian students also require NEET test scores.