The Southwestern University (SWU) is a private university in Cebu City, Philippines founded on 1946 by two pharmacists. It started as Southwestern Colleges in the summer of 1946 and became a university on December 11, 1959. It has three campuses in Metro Cebu.
Southwestern University is in the south of the City of Cebu, Philippines. The university has three campuses. The main campus is located on Urgello St.; the Aznar Coliseum Complex is on Aznar Road; and the Basak Campus on Sabellano St., Basak, and Cebu City.Main Campus
The main campus is the home of the colleges of Arts and Sciences, School ofBusiness, Computer Studies, Criminology, Dentistry, Engineering, Graduate School, Law, Maritime, Medical Technology, Medicine, Optometry, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, and Teachers' College. The Sacred Heart Hospital, Pathology and Biology Museums, Library, Interfaith Chapel, Botanical Garden, and the Administrative Offices are found in the main campus.Aznar Coliseum Complex
Located about 50 meters from the main campus, this complex is made up of Aznar Memorial Coliseum, a ballpark, and the Anunciacion B. Aznar building which houses the Elementary and High School Departments, the Maritime Regiment, the 540th NROTC Unit and the College of Nursing.South Campus
The third campus is the South Campus (formerly the Basak Campus), which houses the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The Elementary and High School Training departments are here.
In summer of 1946, when the Philippines was in the rehabilitation process after World War II, Southwestern University was founded with the name Southwestern Colleges. The founders were husband-and-wife pharmacists Matias Hipolito Chavez Aznar II and Anunciacion Barcenilla Aznar.
Southwestern Colleges started with 18 faculty members and 509 students in three two-storey buildings on an approximately two-hectare lot. It had the following courses: elementary, high school (day and night classes), first two years of Arts and Sciences (Associate programs), Education and Commerce, and first-year Law. In the school year 1946–47, the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and the Graduate School were opened. The College of Nursing was added in school year 1948–1949.
The school became a university on December 11, 1959 with its formal inauguration and the investiture of the co-founder and second president Annunciation Barcenilla Aznar on February 13, 1960. The school year 1959–1960 also started with two new courses: Engineering and Optometry. The College of Medical Technology was opened in 1962. Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine came after a few years. The latest colleges added were Computer Studies, Physical Therapy, Maritime, and Criminology. In 2009, the university had 20 colleges and departments.
Southwestern University has continuously expanded its curricular offerings and its physical plant. The university now occupies more than 18 hectares. The Aznar Coliseum with a seating capacity of approximately 7,000–8,000 is the venue for sports and cultural activities.
The MHAM College of Medicine is at par with the highest scientific and ethical standards in medical education.
In the pursuit of our vision, the Matias H. Aznar Memorial College of Medicine, Inc. exerts its efforts to:
The MHAM College of Medicine has the generous cooperation of many hospitals in Cebu. Among the hospitals utilized for training in the teaching program of the school are: 1. Sacred Heart Hospital 2. Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center 3. Cebu City Medical Center 4. Chong Hua Hospital 5. Argao Community Hospital 6. Cebu Skin Clinic
The MHAM College of Medicine Library is situated onthe 4Th floor of Matias H. Aznar Memorial Building occupying the whole right wing covering anarea of approximately 680 sq.m. It is properly lighted, ventilated and adequately furnished. The library serves primarily the College of Medicine, the staff of Sacred Heart Hospital, the paramedical colleges and research groups within Southwestern University and other groups associated with it.Library hours are as follows:
Monday to Friday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Sunday 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon