University of Pisa’s headquarters are in Lgarno A.Pacinotti, 43, Pisa, Tuscany, 56100, Italy
The University of Pisa was officially established in 1343, although a number of scholars claim its origin dates back to the 11th century. The earliest evidence of a Pisan "Studium" dates back to 1338, when the renowned jurist Ranieri Arsendi transferred to Pisa from Bologna. He along with Bartolo Da Sassoferrato, a lecturer in Civil Law, was paid by the Municipality to teach public lessons. The University of Pisa is a public institution with twenty departments, and high level research centers in the agriculture, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, and medicine and veterinary medicine sectors. Furthermore the University has close relations with the Pisan Institutes of the National Board of Research, with many cultural institutions of national and international importance, and with industries, especially those based in information technology, which went through a phase of rapid expansion in Pisa during the nineteen sixties and seventies. The University of Pisa has close relations with the Pisan Institutes of the National Board of Research, with many cultural institutions of national and international importance, and with industries, especially those based in information technology. The Career Service of the University of Pisa is part of the Education and Internationalization Services Directorate. The notice board of the Career Service of the University of Pisa allows you to consult all the professional opportunities promoted by companies, national and international.
The University of Pisa is a public institution with twenty departments, and high level research centers in the agriculture, astrophysics, computer science, engineering, and medicine and veterinary medicine sectors. Furthermore the University has close relations with the Pisan Institutes of the National Board of Research, with many cultural institutions of national and international importance, and with industries, especially those based in information technology, which went through a phase of rapid expansion in Pisa during the nineteen sixties and seventies.
The University of Pisa was officially established in 1343, although a number of scholars claim its origin dates back to the 11th century.
The earliest evidence of a Pisan "Stadium" dates back to 1338, when the renowned jurist Ranieri Arsendi transferred to Pisa from Bologna. He along with Bartolo Da Sassoferrato, a lecturer in Civil Law, was paid by the Municipality to teach public lessons.
The papal bull 'In supreme dignitatis', granted by Pope Clement VI on 3 September 1343, recognized the 'Stadium' of Pisa as a 'Stadium General'; an institution of further education founded or confirmed by a universal authority, the Papacy or Empire. Pisa was one of the first European universities that received this papal attestation, which guaranteed the universal, legal value of its educational qualifications.
The subjects taught first were: Theology, Civil Law, Canon Law and Medicine. In 1355 Francesco Da Buti, the well-known commentator of Dante's Divine Comedy began teaching at the "Stadium".
Pisa and its "Stadium" underwent a period of crisis around the turn of the 15th century: the Florentines' conquering of the town ruined its economic and social life. However, there is a lack of documented evidence on the University's regular functioning for decades.
In 1473, thanks to Lorenzo dei Medici, the Pisan Stadium resumed its systematic development and the construction of a building for holding lessons was built in 1486. The building - later known as Palazzo della Sapienza (The Building of Knowledge) - was located in the fourteenth-century Piazza del Grano. The image of a cherub was placed Above the Gate 'Dell'Abbondanza' (the Gate of Abundance), leading to the Piazza, which is still today the symbol of the University.
Following the rebellion against Florence in 1494 and the war following, the Pisan Stadium suffered a period of decline, and was transferred to Pistoia, Prato and Florence. The ceremonial re-opening of the University, on 1 November 1543, occurred under the rule of Duke Cosimo I dei Medici, who was considered as a second inauguration. The statute of 1545 improved the quality of the University and the Pisan Athenaeum became one of the most notorious in Europe for teaching and research. Luca Ghini held the chair of "Semplici" (Botany), and was the founder of the world's first Botanical Gardens, succeeded by Andrea Cesalpino, who pioneered the first scientific methodology for the classification of plants and is considered a forerunner in the discovery of blood circulation. Gabriele Fallopio and Marcello Malpighi lectured in Anatomy and Medicine.
Galileo Galilei, who was born and studied in Pisa, became a professor of Mathematics at the Pisan Stadium in 1589.
The University's role as a state institution became even more noticeable during the Medici Grand Duchy period. A protectionist policy ensured that there were a consistent number of scholars and teachers: laws issued by Cosimo I, Ferdinando I and Ferdinando II obliged those who intended to obtain a degree to attend the Stadium of Pisa. This period sees various illustrious figures lecture at Pisa, especially in the field of law and medicine.
The University's development continued under the dynasty of Lorenas. They completed the construction of the astronomic observatory (a project initiated by the Medicis), as well as enriching the University Library with important publications, developing the Botanical Gardens and Natural Science Museum and they established new chairs, such as Experimental Physics and Chemistry.
The annexation of Tuscany to the Napoleonic Empire resulted in the transformation of the Stadium into an Imperial Academy: the Athenaeum became a branch of the University of Paris and the courses and study programs were structured following the French public education model. Five new faculties were established (Theology, Law, Medicine, Science and Literature), along with examinations, different qualification titles and graduation theses. In 1813 'La Scuola Normal Superior' was established, as a branch of the 'Ecole Normale de Paris'.
The Restoration wasn't able to erase the effects of the Napoleonic experience. The first Congress of Italian Scientists was held in Pisa in 1839. 421 scientists and over 300 experts of various disciplines discussed zoology, comparative anatomy, chemistry, physics, mathematics, agronomy, technology, botany, vegetation physiology, geology, mineralogy, geography and medicine.
In 1839 - 1840 the Director of Education, Gaetano Giorgini, brought about the most important reform in the University of Pisa by raising the number of faculties to six (Theology, Law, Literature, Medicine, Mathematics and Natural Sciences) and created the world's first chair of Agriculture and sheep farming.
In 1846 the Scuola Normale was re-opened. Meanwhile, liberal and patriotic ideals were spreading at Athenaeum and a battalion of the University - composed of lecturers and students - distinguished itself in the Battle of Curtatone and Montanara in 1848.
During the 'Second Restoration', in 1851, Leopoldo II united the universities of Pisa and Siena in a unique Etruscan Athenaeum, which was motivated partly by economic reasons, but primarily for political control. The faculties of Theology and Law rested at Siena; while those of Literature, Medicine, Mathematics and Natural Sciences remained at Pisa. Following the Florentine insurrection and the fleeing of the Grand Duke in 1859, one of the initial measures imposed by the Provisory Government was the restitution to the city of Pisa of its Stadium with all six of its faculties.
With the birth of the Kingdom of Italy, the University of Pisa became one of the new state's most prestigious cultural institutions. Between the second half of the nineteenth and first half of the twentieth century’s the following prestigious lecturers taught at Pisa: the lawyers Francesco Carrara and Francesco Bionomic, philologists Domenico Comparative and Giovanni DANONE, historians Pasquale Villard, Gioacchino Volpe and Luigi Russo, philosopher Giovanni Gentile, economist Giuseppe Tomfool and mathematicians Ulysses Dina and Antonio Manicotti. The first European institute of Historical Linguistics was founded in Pisa in 1890.
During the years of fascism the Pisa Athenaeum was an active centre for political debate and antifascist organization.
After the Second World War the University of Pisa returned to the avant-garde in many fields of knowledge. During the 1900s, the University continued to grow and the Engineering and Pharmacy faculties were established before the war, and then after the Second World War the Economics, Foreign Languages and Literature and Politics faculties were established. In 1967 the 'Scoular Superior did Study Universitari e Perfezionamento S. Anna' was founded which, together with 'La Scuola Normal', formed a highly prestigious learning and teaching centre.
The University of Pisa ranks at the top in the most prestigious international rankings, both in the rankings for universities and in those of the individual academic disciplines. The rankings by university place it in variable positions between the 200th and the 400th, therefore in the top 1-2% worldwide, and among the best 10 Italian universities.
The University of Pisa tends to take better positions in the rankings that weigh the most on academic performance (for example, those ARWU and NTU, or those QS and THE by discipline). In the rankings by discipline, the University of Pisa is often among the top 100 universities in the world in Physics, Mathematics, Classical Antiquity, Computer Science, and among the top Italian universities in the same disciplines.
Please note that you are not required to have an Italian tax code and a residence permit to enroll in summer/winter schools.
Details about fees payment are specified on the Summer/Winter School webpage. Please note that each Summer/Winter School has different bank details, so read the information carefully before the payment.Make sure to check if you need a Visa or a Residency permit and Insurance. For further information about these subjects, visit the following webpage:
|Tuition Fees in Italy(1st year average)
|MS EUR 7489 | MBA EUR 19756 | MFin 10330 |EUR 11880 | MIM EUR 11621
|Average Accommodation and food costs in Italy
|EUR 700 TO 1000 a Month
|Entrance Exams in Italy
|TOFEL:74 | IELTS:6 | PTE:37
|Work and Study in Italy
|Permitted for 20 hours/week with a valid study permit.
|Post Study Work permit in Italy
|6 to 12 Months after Graduation depending on the course.
|Cost of Student Visa in Italy
|Student Visa in Italy
|Students can apply for the visa if they have applied for a degree course that has at least twenty hours of courses every week, totally eighty hours of courses a month for more than 90 days.
|Intakes in Italy
|There are two Intakes in Italy: September/October and January/February
University of Pisa’s headquarters are in Lgarno A.Pacinotti, 43, Pisa, Tuscany, 56100, Italy
University of Pisa’s SIC: 82, 8221
University of Pisa’s NAICS: 611310, 6113
University of Pisa has 23 employees
University of Pisa is in the industry of: Colleges & Universities, Education
The technologies that are used by University of Pisa are: Twitter for Websites, Google Maps API, Font Awesome, and YouTube